Empire BlueCross BlueShield (“Empire”) is excited to announce an enhanced process for submitting behavioral health authorizations. We have enhanced the Interactive Care Reviewer (ICR) tool on the Availity Portal to provide the opportunity for quicker resolutions.
The ICR tool on the Availity Portal will now utilize sophisticated clinical analytics in order to provide an immediate decision on an authorization for higher levels of care such as inpatient, intensive outpatient (IOP) and partial hospitalization (PHP). Here are a few of the many reasons behavioral health providers will benefit from using ICR with the newly enhanced functionality:
- Reduction of administrative burden
- Quicker access to care for some services deemed eligible for our immediate decisions
- Increased member focus
- Prioritizes more complex cases
- Reduced possibility of errors such as illegible faxes
- Maximize the amount time spent with members
Follow these instructions to access ICR through the Availity Portal (www.Availity.com)
First, ask your Availity administrator to grant you the appropriate role assignment.
Do you create and submit prior authorization requests?
Required role assignment: Authorization and Referral Request
Do you check the status of the case or results of the authorization request?
Required role assignment: Authorization and Referral Inquiry
Once you have the authorization role assignment, log onto Availity with your unique user ID and password follow these steps.
- Select Patient Registration from Availity’s home page
- Select Authorizations & Referrals
- Select Authorizations (for requests) | Select Auth/Referral Inquiry (for inquiries)
Follow these instructions to access ICR on demand training through the Availity Custom Learning Center:
- From Availity’s home page, select Payer Spaces > Empire BlueCross BlueShield tile > Applications > Custom Learning Center tile.
- From the Courses screen use the filter catalog, and select Interactive Care Reviewer – Online Authorizations from the menu and click Apply.
You will find two pages of online courses consisting of on demand videos and reference documents illustrating navigation and features of ICR. Enroll for the course(s) you want to take immediately or save for later.